Vanilla Bean Coconut Sugar Cookies – crispy sugar cookies made with coconut oil, rolled in sugar, and topped with flecks of real vanilla bean!
Everyone needs those recipes in their life, the tried and true base recipes that you can always depend on. The recipes that you share with everyone you know because it’s just that darn good. The recipes that are delicious on their own but equally good if you spruce them up a bit. This is one of those recipes.
Sugar cookies are one of those staples that everyone should have a good recipe for, but it’s hard to find the perfect one. I’m still looking for the Lofthouse copycat recipe (man those suckers are hard to recreate), but in the process, I’ve stumbled upon the perfect crispy sugar cookie recipe. The buttery kind that melts in your mouth, but won’t leave a thousand crumbs all over your lap.
It’s always the classics that are so hard to perfect. Like honestly, how many chocolate chip cookie recipes are there on the internet? I don’t even want to know.
But as you all know, I can never leave well enough alone, so this recipe adds vanilla bean and uses coconut oil instead of butter. Don’t worry, the buttery flavor and texture is still there! But with an added hint of coconut. It’s just enough without being overwhelming. And those little specks of vanilla bean? I live for those.
I usually make these coconut sugar cookies pretty small so they have a good crunch all the way through. But for a softer, chewier cookie, scoop them a little larger and increase the bake time by a minute or two.
Vanilla Bean Coconut Sugar Cookies (Vegan)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed with 3 Tbsp. of water and set aside to let thicken (about 5-7 minutes).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the coconut oil and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (keep the remaining 1/4 cup for rolling). Set the mixer to medium and let mix until fully combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and the flaxseed and continue to mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and add to the mixer. Mix until just combined.
- In a small food processor or coffee grinder, add the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and the seeds of the vanilla bean. Grind for 1-2 seconds until the vanilla is spread evenly throughout the sugar. Be sure not to grind too much or else it will turn into powdered sugar! (See notes)
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop the cookie dough into equal-sized balls. Roll in the vanilla sugar until fully coated, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes until set and golden brown around the edges. Enjoy!
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.