Vanilla Bean Cinnamon Swirl Bread – Sweet, buttery bread filled with a big swirl of brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla bean. Tastes just like a cinnamon roll!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all products I use daily and highly recommend. Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
This bread is so delicious: chewy, not too sweet, with a crunchy crust and a swirl in the middle that tastes like a cinnamon roll. It makes the best toast ever, and oh yeah it also makes the house smell AMAZING.
It’s not difficult to make, either. In fact, I prepared the dough, let it rest in the fridge overnight, and it was ready to go in the morning. Which means freshly-baked bread for breakfast, and I don’t know about you but that’s how I want to wake up every day.
PS Chrissy Teigen once said, “It’s not butter unless you can see it”, and those are words I live by.
Here’s What I Used:
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- ½ cup water
- 1½ Tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 3-3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp. active dry yeast
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. flaxseed meal + 1½ Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- seeds from ½ vanilla bean
- Mix the flax and water and let sit until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add nondairy milk, water, 1½ Tbsp. vegan butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup to a small saucepot and heat to about 120ºF (you can also do this in the microwave using a glass measuring cup).
- Add to the bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with a dough hook attachment) and sprinkle the yeast over top. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add salt and 1½ cups flour, then let the mixer knead the dough for 2 minutes until the mixture comes together. Add the flax and remaining flour. You might not need all the flour, so start with one cup and add more gradually until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead the dough on a medium speed for 5-7 minutes until soft and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover with a clean towel, and place in a warm area. Let rise 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down, then transfer it to a floured surface. Roll the dough out and shape to a 9"x15" rectangle.
- Combine 1 Tbsp. of the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla bean seeds and brush over the surface of the dough (it will be difficult to spread, so be careful not to rip the dough).
- Roll the dough into a spiral, starting with the short side, making sure that the seam is on the bottom. Carefully transfer the dough to a greased loaf pan. Cover with a clean towel, move to a warm area, and let the dough rise 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- When the dough is almost done rising, preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Brush the loaf with the remaining 1 Tbsp. melted butter (I brushed with ½ Tbsp. before baking and ½ Tbsp. right when it came out of the oven).
- Bake 35-45 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Take a Megabite – “Vanilla Bean, Brown Sugar, & Cinnamon Swirl Bread”
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.