Turkey & Dumplings – A delicious twist on chicken & dumplings! This creamy soup is full of crispy Tofurky pieces and soft herbed stuffing dumplings. Great for using up Thanksgiving leftovers!
I used to looove chicken and dumplings when I was little. Mostly because my grandma made the best chicken and dumplings EVER. I know people always say “my grandma makes the best cookies!” or “my grandma makes the best soup!”. Those people can all take a hike. Because MY grandma, she really did make THE BEST from-scratch chicken and dumplings. I still dream about that soup.
My grandma is the most awesome person I’ve ever met. She passed away quite a few years ago, but she passed all her sassiness and wit onto me and I’m eternally grateful for it.
Going vegan, obviously there’s a lot of stuff you have to give up or learn how to substitute. But chicken & dumplings was such a big part of my childhood that I couldn’t imagine never having it again. Finally I made my own version, and it’s pretty darn close to the original. It’s not exact, but it’s SO GOOD.
I’m so glad I have this recipe. My grandma would probably hate that it’s vegan.
Also, I LOVE Thanksgiving leftovers. But this year, for some reason leftovers seem boring. I’m over Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwiches (been there, done that), and wanted something new to do with a fridge full of leftovers. Enter Turkey & Dumplings.
This recipe uses up not only the leftover stuffing, but the Tofurky too (or regular turkey if you’re not vegan). I also put a little cranberry sauce on top and I’m not mad at it.
Turkey & Dumplings (Vegan)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste about 1/2 tsp. each
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter cold
- 2 cups leftover stuffing
- Leftover Tofurky cut into chunks
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once bubbling, add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and cook until the veggies are tender.
- Add the flour and mix well to coat the veggies, making sure no big clumps of flour remain.
- Slowly add in the broth to avoid clumps, then cover and bring to a boil.
- While the soup is coming to a boil, make the dumplings. Mix the vinegar and nondairy milk and set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut the cold butter into cubes and mix into the flour gently. Add the milk and stir gently to avoid overworking the dough. Fold in the leftover stuffing and mix gently until everything is combined.
- Once the soup is boiling, drop spoonfuls of the dumpling dough into the soup. Cover and let simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a small saute pan over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp. vegan butter. Once the pan is hot and the butter is bubbling, add the chopped Tofurky and cook until crispy and brown on all sides.
- Serve in large soup bowls and enjoy!
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.