This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all products I use daily and highly recommend. Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
Happy Sunday! I don’t usually post recipes on Sundays, but the last 2 weeks have been all sorts of crazy and I’m still trying to play catch up. So today we’re talking about ice cream. Sundaes, specifically. On Sunday. It all makes sense to me.
Ice cream is not something I’ve ever been a huge fan of. Don’t get me wrong, it’s delicious and I love it, and I used to go to town on some Golden Spoon. But then I went vegan, and I never really thought about ice cream again. That is, until I started dating a guy who is literally obsessed with ice cream and it kind of hit me, like man, I think I sort of miss ice cream now.
But I’m really picky about ice cream, so finding vegan ice cream that fits my specifications (rich, super creamy, not icey, scoopable even when frozen, and did I mention CREAMY) is challenging to say the least. Ben n’ Jerry’s and Trader Joe’s Soy Creamy are my favorites, but Soy Creamy takes the lead because the name doesn’t lie, it’s the creamiest nondairy ice cream in the entire world. It’s literally incredible. I don’t buy it anymore because the carton never lasts more than 2 days.
But more often than not, whenever I’m craving ice cream I always go for banana ice cream (aka ‘nice cream’, but I refuse to call it that).
Banana ice cream is so smooth and creamy, and if you add anything chocolate to it, it’s heaven. So with my current chocolate craving and this borderline unbearable heat wave? It’s only natural to make a big batch of banana ice cream and keep it readily available in the freezer. I also made a batch of peanut butter cookies, because duh, ice cream is always better with cookies in it.
Plus, it’s bananas which means it’s healthy, which means I can eat it for breakfast. It’s a win-win-win-win.
Here’s What I Used:
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana Ice Cream Sundaes
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 1 1/2 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- 2 cups sliced bananas frozen (about 4-5 bananas)
- 1-2 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
To make the ice cream:
- Add the frozen banana slices, peanut butter, and cocoa powder to a high-powered blender and blend until completely smooth. If your blender isn't high-powered, you may need to add 1-2 Tbsp. of nondairy milk to get it going.
- Pour the ice cream into a plastic or metal container and place in freezer until set, about 2 hours. You can freeze it up to 24 hours, but the longer the banana ice cream sits in the freezer, the icier it will get.
To make the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix together the flax and water and let sit until slightly thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flax and vanilla.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) and add to the mixing bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press the top of the cookies down with a fork twice in a criss-cross pattern, then sprinkle with granulated sugar and a small pinch of salt.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Break the cookies into chunks and pile inside a parfait glass or small bowl. Top with scoops of chocolate banana ice cream, slices of fresh banana, and chocolate sauce.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.