I’m so excited to be sharing these peanut butter banana cupcakes today, not only because they’re delicious and super fun to make, but also because today happens to be my 5 year anniversary with my boyfriend. Yay!
These peanut butter banana cupcakes are super moist (sorry) and packed with banana flavor. The batter is sprinkled with chocolate chips right before baking. This adds a little bit of chocolate flavor (and a good texture) without overwhelming the other flavors. Once they’re cool, top the cupcakes with a peanut butter frosting, drizzle with melted peanut butter, and sprinkle with more chocolate chips. Yummmmm.
Peanut Butter & Banana Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- scant 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda, divided
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 large handful vegan chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Frosting
- scant 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. nondairy milk (optional)
- melted peanut butter for decorating
- chocolate chips for decorating
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and applesauce and cream together another 2 minutes.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, salt, and cinnamon)
- Add half of the dry ingredients and mix until almost fully combined, then add the mashed bananas. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until almost fully combined.
- In a separate small bowl, add the vinegar to the remaining 1 tsp. baking soda. Let it bubble up, then pour into the cake batter and fold gently.
- Scoop the cake batter into a lined cupcake tray (scoop each a little less than 3/4 full) and sprinkle the tops with chocolate chips. Bake 20-25 minutes until the cupcakes are golden brown across the top.
For the frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Sift the powdered sugar, turn the mixer down to low, and gradually add the powdered sugar to the bowl. Once it is almost fully incorporated, turn the mixer back up to medium-high and let it whip until light and fluffy. If the frosting is too stiff, you can add up to 2 Tbsp. of nondairy milk.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes using a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Drizzle with melted peanut butter and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Enjoy!
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.