Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread – moist chocolate chip-packed banana bread swirled together with rich chocolate banana bread. The best of both worlds!
I am a firm believer in “More is More”. Part of it is because I get excited and tend to go overboard on things, but I usually just blame my Too-Much Gene for my inability to know when to stop (I’m an Aries Moon-Pisces Sun, what can I say). It’s a bad habit when it comes to how long my eyeliner wings are (too long) or how much glitter I should wear (too much) or how many jars of vegan quest I should buy from Trader Joe’s this week (too many). But “More is More” is always true when it comes to baked goods, and that’s one area we should never cut back on. Let your Too-Much Gene run wild!
Why choose regular banana bread when you can have chocolate banana bread? Or better yet, have both. This marbled banana bread combines the best of both worlds: moist chocolate chip-studded banana bread, and rich chocolate banana bread.
Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread makes the perfect snack. It’s rich enough to be a dessert but not too rich that you couldn’t have it for breakfast. This recipe is adapted from my tried-and-true recipe called The Best Banana Bread EVER, and trust me, it’s named appropriately. It’s the perfect amount of moisture and density, and packed with chocolate chips to give it a good texture.
Looking for more banana bread recipes?
- The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread… EVER
- Peanut Butter & Strawberry Banana Bread
- Blueberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, such as Earth Balance
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk, such as Silk
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- scant 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed with 6 Tbsp. of water, mix well, and set aside to let thicken slightly (5-7 minutes).
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flax and vanilla and mix an additional minute.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour and baking soda). Add half of the flour to the butter mixture, mix, then add the milk, mix. Add other half of flour and mix until just combined (the mixture will be very thick but be sure not to overmix it!)
- Fold in the mashed bananas. Divide this batter into two separate bowls. To one bowl, add the chocolate chips. To the other bowl, add the cocoa powder (make sure to sift it first so it doesn't get clumpy).
- In a parchment-lined 9"x5" loaf pan, alternate adding the two batters. My favorite way to get the marbled effect is to add scoops of each batter randomly in the loaf pan, then use a knife to gently swirl the layers together.
- Bake 65-70 minutes until fully baked. Because of the chocolate, it might be hard to tell, but the regular banana bread sections should be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf will come out clean.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.