Lemon Coconut Cookies – Chewy lemon cookies packed with shredded coconut and chopped walnuts, topped with a zesty lemon glaze!
Here’s a fun story: my fridge is 95% citrus right now.
My parents have a ton of fruit trees and last time I went to go see them, my dad loaded me up with BAGS full of fruit. Plural. BagSSS. I’m not complaining! In fact it’s a perfect excuse for me to bake more than ever. But it also means that there’s no room left for anything else in our fridge.
I’ve compiled a list two pages long of all the citrus recipes I want to make and it’s almost overwhelming to pick what to make next. But I knew these Lemon Coconut Cookies would be first up.
These cookies are the perfect amount of crispy and the perfect amount of chewy. The base is made with lemon zest, brown sugar, and vanilla (already off to a great start). Then they’re packed with shredded coconut and chopped walnuts, and topped with a zesty lemon glaze for that extra punch of lemon.
Looking for more citrus recipes?
Lemon Coconut Cookies
Lemon Coconut Cookies
- 1 cup vegan butter, such as Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- zest of two lemons save the juice for the icing!
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Mix the ground flaxseed with 7 Tbsp. of water and set aside to let thicken, about 5-7 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the sugars and lemon zest. Let the mixer run on low for 2-3 minutes to infuse the lemon zest into the sugar. (you can also do this by hand by rubbing the zest into the sugar).
- Add the butter to the sugar mixture and let cream together on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flaxseed and the vanilla and let cream together an additional 2 minutes.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) and add to the mixer all at once. Let the mixer run on low until almost fully incorporated, then add the walnuts and coconut and fold together using a spatula.
- Chill the cookie dough for at least 1 hour, overnight if possible.*
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 360ºF (yes, 360! Not 350).
- Scoop the cookie dough into balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies) until golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool completely. When you’re ready to ice them, add the powdered sugar and lemon juice to a small bowl. Mix together well until smooth and no lumps remain. Drizzle over the cookies.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.