Lamington Donuts – the classic Australian dessert in donut form! Moist vanilla sponge cake filled with raspberry jam, topped with a chocolate glaze and shredded coconut
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all products I use daily and highly recommend. Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
Hello friends. I’ve got another donut recipe for you. This time in the form of a classic dessert, a lamington. This post may cause a lot of problems with my Australian readers, not because I’m making a lamington donut or “reimagining” one of their favorite desserts, but because I had no idea that the jam inside lamingtons was such a point of contention.
I chose to put jam simply because it’s delicious and I felt like it, but if you feel with everything inside you that lamingtons aren’t supposed to have jam, then no worries, I won’t be offended if you leave it out.
I’ve been seeing Australia literally everywhere lately, like every time I get a new follower on Instagram, they’re from Australia, or it’s a pastry company in Australia, or I’m getting ads to come visit Australia. So I gave into it a little bit and made these donuts, which I’m in love with, but it kind of backfired because now I feel like I need to go visit and eat one in person.
Anybody want to host me? I’ll bring donuts.
Here’s What I Used:
Lamington Donuts (Vegan)
Vanilla Cake Donut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup nondairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter melted
- scant 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup jam I used raspberry
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- sweetened shredded coconut for topping
For the donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt), then add the brown sugar and mix well to break up any clumps.
- Mix together the wet ingredients (milk, butter, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar), then add to the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Don't overmix; clumps are ok!
- Grease the wells of a donut pan, then fill the wells a little under halfway with the batter. Using a piping bag or small spoon, add a small layer of jam on top of the donut batter. Add the remaining batter on top, making sure to completely cover the jam.
- Bake 13-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Mix together the glaze ingredients and stir until completely smooth.
- Carefully dip the top half of the donuts into the chocolate glaze, and gently move back and forth to get all the excess glaze to drip off. Set aside and let the glaze start to harden, about 2 minutes.
- Once the glaze is starting to set (but isn't hard yet), dip the glazed part of the donut into the shredded coconut and roll around to make sure all sides are coated. Gently shake the donut above the bowl to remove any excess coconut.
Recipe adapted from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken – “Classic Vegan Chocolate Glazed Donuts“
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.