Kale Pesto Pasta – Flavorful kale and toasted nuts blended together with olive oil, garlic, and spices. Delicious, easy, and ready in 5 minutes!
Hold on, please don’t leave. Hear me out.
I know this is a vegan blog, but there are still a lot of kale haters out there. And this post is for you. I personally am a kale lover, more on the side of crazy obsessed kale lover. But even if you’re a kale hater, I promise you will love this pesto. It sort of tastes like kale, but it also tastes like delicious garlicky goodness and toasted sunflower seeds, and tart lemon juice and rich olive oil. And it smells awesome.
Not tempted yet? How about this: it’s a great way to eat a giant bowl of pasta while still getting in your veggies for the day. Plus if you put it on veggie pasta (I looove veggie pasta), it’s basically a healthy food. Boom.
I’ve been making so much of this pesto and putting it on literally everything: pasta, toast, vegan meatballs (without pasta), just eating it by the spoonful. The other night, I made baked potatoes with pesto and nutritional yeast and honestly, it was the best dinner I’ve had in a long time.
I tend to get in food ruts, and unfortunately sometimes I bring them to this blog (like how I’ve been obsessed with cinnamon bread lately). This is my newest food rut, but I promise I won’t post a thousand recipes… unless you want me to.
- 2 cups kale, torn with stems removed
- 2 heaping Tbsp. dried parsley or basil
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- big pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 box (12 oz.) dry pasta
- heaping ¼ cup sundried tomatoes
- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- Add sunflower seeds to a dry saucepan and toast over medium heat until fragrant and slightly browned.
- Add kale, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a blender or food processor.
- Once smooth, add toasted sunflower seeds and blend again until smooth.
- Fold into cooked pasta.
- Chop up sundried tomatoes and fold into pasta.
Pesto recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum – “5 Minute Kale Pesto“
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.