Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies – Delicious, chewy dark chocolate cookies stuffed with mini peanut butter cups and homemade peanut butter chips!
This post is sponsored by Justin’s.
I say this a lot, but this time I really mean it… these are the best cookies I’ve ever had.
Seriously. These are my new favorite cookies.
They look so unassuming. They just look like plain ol’ chocolate cookies, maybe with a swirl of peanut butter on top. But they are SO MUCH MORE. These cookies are filled with melted chocolate, homemade salty-sweet peanut butter chips, and TONS of chopped-up mini peanut butter cups. Yeah. Let that sink in.
You start with a chocolate cookie base. Then fold in some dark chocolate chips and homemade peanut butter chips (because the ones from the store are not vegan and are filled with some really gross stuff). Then when you scoop the dough, you pull each dough ball apart and stuff mini peanut butter cups in the middle. Stuff a lot, trust me. A big handful per cookie. It won’t look like it’ll all fit, but it will.
When you pull the cookies apart, there’s a big chunk of chocolate-peanut butter goodness in the middle. It firms up a little once the cookies cool, like a big chunk of creamy peanut butter ganache. Mmmm.I used the dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Justin’s because they’re perfectly bitter. Milk chocolate won’t work in this recipe, it’ll be too overly sweet. You need some dark chocolate to stand up to the sweet chocolate cookie dough.
For the peanut butter chips, I used Justin’s Classic Peanut Butter, which is a little thicker than normal peanut butter and holds up in these cookies really well (plus it’s made with all-natural ingredients, so it adds a super natural, delicious, pure peanut butter taste). I wouldn’t recommend using a thin peanut butter (like Jif or Skippy), because the chips will just melt away in the oven, and that’s no good. You want big chunks of peanut butter to bite into.
♡ What’s your favorite chocolate & peanut butter dessert?
- 1 cup vegan butter, cold
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 7 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- peanut butter chips (recipe follows)
- 1½ cup Justin's Mini Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Justin's Classic Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- Mix all ingredients together. Add to a small piping bag and pipe little mounds onto a sheet of wax paper. Place in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Mix together the flax and water and let sit until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the flax and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add to the mixing bowl. Mix gently until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.
- Divide the dough into 15 cookie dough balls. Divide each ball in half, then firmly press a handful of chopped mini peanut butter cups into one of the halves. Top with the other half of dough and pinch the sides to make sure the cookie dough is completely covering the mini peanut butter cups.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Bake the cookies 18-20 minutes until set on the edges but still soft in the middle. Be careful not to overbake! These cookies are best when slightly underdone, like a brownie.
Recipe adapted from How Sweet Eats – “Double Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies“
Thank you to Justin’s for sponsoring this post!
(All opinions are 100% my own. I only partner with brands that I use in my everyday life.)
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.