Coffee Cake Donuts – Delicious vanilla donuts topped with a cinnamon streusel. Light, fluffy, crumbly, & easy to throw together in minutes!
Don’t mess with perfection. That’s all I have to say.
Whenever I read a recipe, my mind goes a million miles an hour with ideas to make it my own & make it unique. My favorite thing in the whole world is to take a classic recipe & reimagine it as a different dessert (does that even make sense?). But once in a blue moon, I make the recipe just as it is. This is one of those recipes that I didn’t change.
It’s perfect. The cake is light and fluffy, the streusel is sweet & crumbly, it comes together in a matter of minutes, and you can make it all in one bowl. No mixer required! For this recipe, I put the batter in a donut pan, but I’ve also made this as a regular 8×8 coffee cake and it was just as good. Thank you to the Vegan Queen herself, Isa Chandra Moscowitz, for this recipe!
PS those ones have blueberries folded in. And they’re AMAZING.
Recipe by Isa Chandra Moskowitz – “East Coast Coffee Cake”
- ¾ cup nondairy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups AP flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup AP flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Mix the nondairy milk & vinegar and let sit for 5-7 minutes.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a big mixing bowl.
- Add the oil, vanilla, and milk mixture.
- Mix until smooth, being careful not to overmix.
- Butter the wells of a donut pan, and then divide the batter evenly. I filled the wells about ¾ of the way full, and it made about 12 donuts.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, & oil and mix until crumbly.
- Pour the streusel evenly over the donuts & press gently into the cake batter.
- Bake 30 minutes until light golden brown.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.