This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links (at no extra cost to you!). Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
I’m so excited for today’s recipe, which I say about every recipe on my blog, and it’s always true. But I’m like, especially excited for today’s recipe.
I saw this jam bread on the BakeFeed Instagram page a while ago, and I instantly fell in love. I was like OMG I NEED TO MAKE THIS NOW, liked the photo, and promptly forgot about it. Sometimes I have the memory of a goldfish.
Cut to a few weeks later, I decided on a whim to treat myself to some magazines. I literally never buy magazines (call me a “everything is digital” millennial, but I hate how you read it once and then it ends up as clutter), but on the rare occasion that I do, it’s always a baking magazine. Plus it’s my dream to be on the cover of 2 separate magazines (Bake From Scratch and Inked), so, you know, it’s motivation.
Bake From Scratch magazine in hand, I plopped myself on the couch and started skimming the pages. And wouldn’t you know, the first page the magazine fell open to was the same jam bread I had obsessed over weeks earlier.
And let me tell you, this bread didn’t disappoint. It’s that perfect mix between soft cake crumb and hearty quick bread loaf. Plus the jam and streusel on top? So good.
Here’s What I Used:
Cinnamon Jam Loaf
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. vegan butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup jam, divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9″ loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving the edges to hang over the side (this’ll make it easier to remove the loaf when it’s done).
- Mix together the nondairy milk and vinegar, stir well, and set aside to let curdle (this is a homemade vegan buttermilk!)
- Mix the flaxseed meal with 6 Tbsp. of water, mix well, and set aside to thicken (about 5-7 minutes).
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda). Add the brown sugar and mix well to make sure there are no clumps.
- Add the wet ingredients (buttermilk, flax eggs, and vanilla extract) and mix until smooth.
- Pour 1/3 of the mixture into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Top with half of the jam, spreading almost to the edges (be sure to leave a small border so the jam doesn’t ooze out the sides). Repeat once more, and top with remaining 1/3 of batter.
- To make the streusel: sift together the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, and salt). Add the sugars and mix well to make sure there are no clumps. Add the chopped walnuts, then mix in the cold cubed butter and press the mixture together until it resembles small crumbs. Spread evenly across the top of the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and cover with foil. Place back in the oven and bake an additional 45 minutes until golden brown and fully baked all the way through.
- Once the loaf is fully cooled, mix together the glaze ingredients and drizzle over the top of the loaf.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.