Chunky Banana Muffins – Not your ordinary muffins! Packed with chunks of banana, coconut, pecans, and tons of dark chocolate.
So, fun fact, I haven’t eaten a banana in over a year.
Which to normal people is not a big deal, but to vegans it’s like WHAT, BUT THEN WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN EATING.
Yes, like most vegans, I used to eat 2-3 bananas a day, much more if I was having banana ice cream (more in the 8-10 range). I even found a place that would sell me WHOLE BOXES of bananas, which was an actual dream come true, getting a 40 lb. case of bananas for $10. There was a point in my life when I had 7-8 gallon size ziploc bags full of banana in the freezer. You can see where I’m going with this… I got burnt out on bananas pretty quickly.
Aaand now I’m here. Diving back into the banana pool (what) and eating bananas again. I don’t know what it is, but this week I have had a major craving for banana muffins. Specifically banana muffins with chocolate chips. Always add chocolate. That’s how I like to live my life.
I made these a while ago and they’re sooo good. They have a great banana flavor and the perfect texture: fluffy, but not too light, and PACKED with add-ins (you guys know I get pretty picky when it comes to muffins). I made these ones with dark chocolate chips, pecan pieces, and coconut flakes, but you can add (or not add) anything you want. Except chocolate. Always add chocolate. That’s non-negotiable.
♡ What’s your favorite kind of muffin?
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsp. water
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Mix flax and water and let sit 5-7 minutes until thickened.
- Mix lemon juice and nondairy milk and let sit 3 minutes.
- Mix together melted butter and sugar.
- Add flax, vanilla, and nondairy milk. Mix until smooth.
- Sift together dry ingredients, then fold together with wet ingredients.
- Fold in mashed bananas.
- Fold in coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Scoop into muffin tins, filling about ¾ of the way full.
- If desired, sprinkle tops with additional coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.