Chrissy Teigen’s Banana Bread – My vegan version of the banana bread that took over the internet! Rich, moist banana cake packed with chocolate & coconut
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all products I use daily and highly recommend. Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
Mike likes to say that Chrissy Teigen is my spirit animal. And honestly, I kind of agree. I’m not nearly as funny or as beautiful as she is, but we’ve got the same level of sass and that’s hard to find.
If you don’t know who Chrissy Teigen is, she’s a gorgeous model, wife to John Legend, mom to an adorable baby, and sassiest person in the world. Oh, and amazing chef (check out her cookbook, Cravings! I’m obsessed). I am not someone who tends to care about celebrities, but she’s one that I actually follow on Twitter (the only other real celebrity I follow is Matthew Gray Gubler, because… duh).
So here’s the story of the banana bread, I’ll try to keep it short. This banana bread went viral after Chrissy Teigen tweeted that she needed brown bananas for a recipe. She offered to trade a copy of her cookbook, a pair of John’s underwear, and one of her Becca palettes to anyone who could come through and she was serious. It was a really funny story and interesting to read as the day progressed, but the story literally was EVERYWHERE the next day, so Chrissy was gracious enough to finally share the recipe. Here’s the recipe in its original form (taken from her Instagram):
So I finally made it! I did make a few small changes (sorry Chrissy), only because I had to substitute the eggs. I added some additional moisture (thus the extra banana and the applesauce), and added a small amount of baking powder to help with the leavening. Holy cow, this banana bread is good. It’s a lot different from my recipe, which is a lot denser and more bread-like. This is a lot lighter in texture, richer, and more cake-like. It was good. Like really good.
Here’s What I Used:
- 2 cups mashed bananas, about 6 bananas (I did about 2¼ cups)
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 7 Tbsp. water
- ½ cup applesauce
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 box vanilla instant pudding mix (3.5 oz.)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- Mix together the flax & water and let sit 5-7 minutes until thickened.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and vanilla pudding mix.
- Add the oil, applesauce, flaxseed mixture, and mashed bananas to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the coconut & chocolate.
- Pour into a greased & floured bundt pan.
- Bake for 70-80 minutes until golden brown. Make sure to stick a toothpick in the middle to check that it's cooked all the way through.
Recipe adapted from Chrissy Teigen – “Banana Bundt Bread”
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.