I consider myself to be a bit of a banana bread addict. I love it. In fact, I could probably eat banana bread every single day and I would never get tired of it. Chocolate chip banana bread is my number one love in life.
I’ve tried tons of recipes to find the perfect vegan loaf that isn’t dry, boring, or “vegan-tasting” (yes, we can all admit that a lot of vegan food is bland. Dry. Unappetizing, to put it nicely.)
But this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is my absolute favorite. It’s the one I return to over and over again. It’s everything I love about banana bread: simple, comforting, delicious.
The banana flavor is big. The chocolate chips are a delicious addition. The loaf is soft inside, but has a nice firm crust with a little bit of crunch on the edges. It’s PERFECT.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Vegan)
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 6 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- ⅔ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Mix together the flax and water and let sit until thickened, 5-7 minutes.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add flax and mix until smooth.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Add half of the flour to the mixing bowl, mix, then add the milk, mix. Add other half of flour and mix until just combined (the mixture will be very thick but be sure not to overmix it!)
- Fold in mashed bananas, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a buttered and floured loaf pan.
- Bake 65-70 minutes until golden brown. This is a big loaf, so make sure to stick a toothpick in the middle to make sure it's baked all the way through.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.