Chocolate Banana Coffee Cake – rich, chocolatey, fudgey chocolate banana cake topped with a crunchy dark chocolate streusel
There are many things that I’ve changed my mind on throughout the years. I decided to stop eating meat, then dairy. I’ve changed my mind on movies I thought I loved. I’ve changed my mind on whether or not I like raisins (final verdict: I do like them, but only if they’re in things). But there’s one thing that I’ve never changed my mind on, and it’s this: coffee cake should have a layer of streusel equal in height to the layer of cake. I will never change my mind on that.
Coffee cake is one of my favorite foods of all time, along with banana bread and blueberry muffins. I like coffee cake when it’s thick and crumbly and not overly sweet. I also like when there’s so much streusel that it almost overwhelms the cake, but doesn’t. This Chocolate Banana Coffee Cake has all that.
The cake base is chocolatey and fudgey, like a really good brownie. The streusel is rich and crunchy, and there’s a super thick layer of it. The banana keeps the cake moist, and the dark cocoa powder ensures that it’s chocolatey without being overly sweet. It’s perfect with a cup of iced coffee. It’s everything I want in a coffee cake.
Looking for more cake recipes?
Chocolate Banana Coffee Cake
Chocolate Banana Cake
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, such as Earth Balance melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk, such as Silk
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium banana)
Dark Chocolate Streusel
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, such as Earth Balance melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. dark cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed with 3 Tbsp. of water, stir, then set aside until slightly thickened (about 5-7 minutes).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the melted butter and brown sugar. Mix until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla and the flaxseed and continue mixing until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon). With the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients, making sure that they are fully incorporated.
- Add the milk and the mashed banana to the mixer. Mix until just combined. Pour into a greased and parchment-lined 8″x8″ baking pan and spread evenly into the corners.
- To make the streusel topping: combine the brown sugar and melted butter in a medium-sized bowl. Mix until fully combined, then add the remaining ingredients. Stir until the mixture becomes dry and crumbly, then sprinkle over the cake mixture. Gently press the crumbs into the cake.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until fully set. A toothpick inserted in the center of the cake should come out with a few wet crumbs, but not batter!
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.