This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all products I use daily and highly recommend. Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
Ok, breakfast cake might be a bit of a stretch. But it’s got bananas! And it’s made with tea! You know what, it’s totally a breakfast cake. End of story.
This cake is like everything I love in the world came together to make the perfect recipe: cake, cinnamon, chai tea, banana, powdered sugar. It’s super moist from the bananas, and flavorful from the tea and spices. It’s delicious on its own, but with a cup of coffee? Even better.
Here’s What I Used:
Chai Breakfast Cake (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1 chai tea bag I used Tazo Chai Vanilla Caramel
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 medium bananas mashed
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Add the nondairy milk to a small saucepan and heat on low, covered, until steaming and bubbles form around the edges of the saucepan. Remove from heat, add the tea bag, cover, and steep 20 minutes. Once steeped, discard the tea bag and set the milk aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Mix together the flax and water and let sit until slightly thickened, 5-7 minutes.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flax egg and vanilla.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt).
- Pour 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Add 1/2 of the steeped milk and mix until just combined.
- Continue adding the wet and dry ingredients alternately, ending with dry.
- Gently fold in the mashed bananas.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased 6" cake pan. Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar right before serving.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.