Vanilla Bean Donuts with Berry Glaze – Moist, baked donuts packed with specks of real vanilla bean, topped with a tart triple berry glaze
I’ve been baking up all sorts of delicious things to share on the blog this summer: desserts packed with fresh berries, ice creams and popsicles, s’mores. But the weather outside is weird and cloudy and overcast and doesn’t feel like summer. It doesn’t even feel like spring! So I’m living vicariously through my food and pretending it’s warm outside and I’m laying by the pool.
First up on my summer dessert roster is these donuts. They’re perfect for weird days like today when it’s weirdly muggy out and you wish you were on the beach where it’s warm and sunny. They’re like summer in a donut!
How to make Vanilla Bean Donuts with Berry Glaze:
These donuts are super easy to make. Plus they’re baked instead of fried, so they’re a little better for you. And with the berry glaze? They’re practically a health food. To make the berry glaze, I used the freeze-dried fruit from Trader Joe’s (you guys know I’m a huge fan, I put the freeze-fried strawberries all over my birthday cake). I added a few handfuls of freeze-fried fruit (I used a mix of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries) to the food processor and pulsed a few times until everything was a fine powder. Then I sifted it together with the powdered sugar, added some nondairy milk, and stirred until smooth.
The reason I use the freeze-dried fruit is because it gives a ton of flavor without watering down the glaze. This glaze holds up and dries slightly to give the donuts a nice coating. And that all-natural color? I can’t get enough.
Looking for more donut recipes?
Vanilla Bean Donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup nondairy milk, such as Silk
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, such as Earth Balance melted
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
Triple Berry Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried fruit, ground into a powder
- 6 Tbsp. nondairy milk, such as Silk
To make the donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the ground flaxseed with 7 Tbsp. of water, stir, and set aside to let thicken slightly (about 5-7 minutes).
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt), then add the sugar and the seeds of the vanilla bean and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients (flaxseed, nondairy milk, and melted butter) to the dry ingredients and mix well until no lumps remain. Stir gently, and be sure not to overmix!
- Pour the batter into the wells of a donut pan (make sure to grease them first!). Bake for 15-17 minutes until golden brown along the edges.
To make the glaze:
- Sift together the powdered sugar and dried fruit powder. Add the nondairy milk and mix until fully combined and totally smooth.
- One at a time, dip the tops of the donuts in the glaze and place on a cooling rack to let the glaze drip down the sides. You can also drizzle the glaze over top if you prefer.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.