This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links (at no extra cost to you!). Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
Happy New Year! I’m starting 2019 the best way I know how: compost cookies.
Truth be told, this post was supposed to go out this morning, like 10 am. I had this whole thing where I wanted to post on the last day of 2018 and the first day of 2019 to start the year right and get back into blogging regularly. But then my boyfriend and I both entered an accidental food coma and took a nap on the couch. So long story short, this post is going up at 6 pm. Sorry ’bout it.
This recipe is from the absolute legend Christina Tosi, adorable human being, master of all things delicious, and my personal inspiration for getting through pastry school all those years ago.
These cookies are basically what happens when you take all the most delicious snacks in the world (coffee, chocolate chips, pretzels, potato chips) and mash them all into one thing. They’re sweet and salty and crunchy and chewy, and the flavor is so overwhelming in the best possible way. I mean just look at the cookie dough (dibs on the one with the giant potato chip sticking out of it). They’re by far one of my favorite cookies (the other being peanut blossoms), and by far the best way to start the new year.
Here’s What I Used:
- 110 grams vegan butter
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 75 grams brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 110 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 2 grams salt
- 125 grams semisweet chocolate chips
- 20 grams old-fashioned oats
- 2.5 grams ground espresso
- 25 grams potato chips
- 25 grams mini pretzels
- 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vegan butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. nondairy milk
For the graham crumble:
- In a small bowl, mix together the graham crackers, sugar, butter, salt, and nondairy milk. Mix with a fork until the mixture is combined and starting to form clumps.
For the compost cookies:
- Combine the ground flaxseed with 1 1/2 Tbsp. water. Mix well and set aside to thicken.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars (on a medium-high speed) until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and the flax egg. Mix well on a medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and add to the bowl. Mix until almost fully combined.
- Add the mix-ins (chocolate chips, oats, espresso, potato chips, pretzels, and graham crumble) and pulse the mixer a few times to break up the chips and pretzels. Mix for 10 seconds on low, just until combined.
- Scoop the cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill overnight (10-12 hours).
- Once fully chilled, preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Bake the cookies for 15-18 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.