Carrot Cupcakes – Moist, spiced carrot cake cupcakes topped with a smooth, tangy cream cheese frosting
Ok, ok, I know. This post is coming out a day late. And on top of that, my last recipe was muffins, and cupcakes and muffins are in the same family, so I really should have waited to post this recipe. BUT I CAN’T. Because these carrot cupcakes are so good, I literally (cue Chris Traeger voice) can’t wait to post them.
I think carrot cake is totally underrated. I don’t know why so many people dislike carrot cake, whether it’s because it has vegetables in it or because it’s not overly sweet. Honestly, those are the two things I love most about carrot cake. It’s so easy to load up a cake with sugar and frosting and of course it’ll taste good, because sugar is awesome. But I like desserts that aren’t overly sweet. When you don’t load up a dessert with sugar, you need to depend on flavor to make it good. And these cupcakes are darn good.
These cupcakes are light, fluffy, and packed with cinnamon and chopped walnuts. And the cream cheese frosting? So smooth and creamy and tangy and delicious. These cupcakes were an instant hit with my family last Easter, and I’m sure your family will love them too!
Looking for more cake recipes?
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots*
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, such as Earth Balance
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, such as Kite Hill
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
For the carrot cake cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt). Add the sugar and mix well.
- In a separate measuring cup, mix together the wet ingredients (vegetable oil, applesauce, and vanilla). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until almost fully incorporated.
- Fold in the carrots and the walnuts. Scoop the carrot cake batter into a lined muffin tin, filling each liner about 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes for 25-27 minutes until golden brown.
For the cream cheese frosting:
- Add the butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer. Let cream together on medium-high for 5-7 minutes until smooth and fluffy. Make sure there are no lumps, because it’ll be hard to get the lumps out once you add the powdered sugar!
- Add the salt and vanilla and cream for an additional minute. Turn the mixer to low and add the powdered sugar. You can add it all at once or gradually, I usually add it gradually.
- Beat the cream cheese frosting until smooth, about 2 minutes. Chill the frosting for 10 minutes while the cupcakes cool.
- To assemble, pipe or dollop the frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes. Make sure to spread the frosting to the edges! Decorate with chopped walnuts.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.