This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links (at no extra cost to you!). Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
Hello friends, I have been doing my best to squeeze in a few more recipes before the end of 2018. Have I been able to post as many as I was hoping? No, but it’s ok. Hanging out with family and seeing friends has been my main priority. Plus, all those recipes will just cycle over and be posted in January. Easy peasy, all is well.
The end of the year always feels so busy and rushed, like the days in between Christmas and the new year go into hyperspeed. Am I the only one who feels that? But this time has been well spent seeing family, trading gifts, hanging out with my new pet (a baby Betta), playing new video games, and eating my weight in cookies.
I made these brown sugar biscotti as part of my annual cookie platter and I wasn’t going to post the recipe, but I had multiple requests so… I’m doin’ it. The brown sugar gives the biscotti a delicious molasses undertone and keeps them soft enough to bite through while still being crunchy, because to me there’s nothing worse than a “I just broke my tooth on this rock of biscotti” type of biscotti, you know? Plus there’s dried cranberries to make them colorful and festive, and those two flavors go together so well that I’m honestly surprised I don’t use the combination more often.
Here’s What I Used:
Brown Sugar Cranberry Biscotti
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the flaxseed with 7 Tbsp. water, mix well, and set aside until slightly thickened (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the brown sugar and olive oil to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium until fully incorporated.
- Add the flax eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add to the bowl and mix until almost fully combined. Fold in the cranberries.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the baking soda and vinegar and let foam up. Stir gently to make sure it’s all incorporated together, then add to the flour mixture and fold together gently.
- Shape the dough into two small rectangles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-23 minutes until set and golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes, until they’re cool enough to handle.
- Using a large serrated knife, cut the biscotti on a diagonal and place back on the baking sheet. Place the biscotti standing up, and make sure to leave room between them to allow the heat and airflow to hit all sides.
- Lower the oven to 325ºF and bake the biscotti for an additional 10-15 minutes, until completely golden brown and crispy.
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.