Blueberry Streusel Muffins with Lemon Glaze – If you want an all-around good muffin, these will become your go-to! Lots of flavor, PACKED with blueberries, and topped with a cinnamon streusel!
I’m really high maintenance when it comes to any baked goods, but especially muffins.
Anyone who knows me in real life just read that & said, “What? You’re high maintenance?? Noooooo!”
Muffins are something I take very seriously. They can’t be too bready or too cakey, and they need to have a lot of flavor (unless you’re eating a plain muffin, but I can’t imagine what sort of horrible person would pick a plain muffin over anything else). If it’s a blueberry muffin, I want it PACKED with blueberries. None of this “2 blueberries in the whole muffin” nonsense. NOTHING INFURIATES ME MORE.
Sorry. I get really passionate about muffins.
If you are anything like I am and just want an all-around good muffin, these Blueberry Streusel Muffins will become your go-to! They’re just the way they should be: great consistency, lots of flavor, PACKED with blueberries, and topped with a cinnamon streusel. And lemon glaze. Oh, and they’re also 100% vegan. But you probably already knew that.
Blueberry Streusel Muffins with Lemon Glaze (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 7 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Mix together the flax and water and let sit until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Cream together the butter & sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the flax and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and milk, meaning:
- add 1/3 of flour mixture, mix, add half of milk, mix, add 1/3 of flour, mix, add rest of milk, mix, add rest of flour, mix.
- GENTLY fold in the blueberries. The batter will be thick, but try not to smash too many of the berries or the batter will turn purple and it won't bake properly.
For the streusel:
- Sift together the 1 cup flour & cinnamon, add the brown sugar & oil, and mix until crumbly.
- Be sure to mix well or there will be little oil pockets in the clumps of sugar. Eww.
- Scoop the muffin batter into lined or buttered muffin tins.
- Top each muffin with streusel & lightly press to make sure the streusel will stick to the muffins.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once the muffins are cool, mix together the lemon juice & powdered sugar and drizzle over the muffins.