Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Cookies – Thick, puffy buttery cookies packed with chocolate chips. The perfect chocolate chip cookie, with crispy golden edges and a gooey center!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all products I use daily and highly recommend. Thanks for the support that makes Panthers & Peonies possible!
I don’t like plain things. I’m all about dessert mashups and intricate pastries and adding extra elements because my Too Much Gene likes to run out of control. But every once in a while I want a good, simple chocolate chip cookie.
I happened to see this recipe from Handle the Heat right when I was having one of those unusual cookie cravings. So I made them (at 11pm, because lol what’s a normal sleep schedule) and wow I’m in love.
I made a batch, chilled them for an hour, then baked off half of the dough and left the rest in the fridge to chill for 24 hours. And both batches were super good, but the batch that chilled for longer was definitely more flavorful. I know most people don’t have the time (or patience), but trust me. One of the best baking tips I can give you is to let cookie dough chill and rest before you bake it.
Chilling the dough creates the perfect cookie texture. The cookies stay tall and puffy and don’t sink as soon as they come out of the oven. They get the crispy edges while staying gooey in the middle. And letting the dough chill means that it gets even more flavorful, which means that the cookies will have this rich, buttery, caramel-y flavor, which is pretty much the best thing ever.
Here’s What I Used:
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Mix together the flax and water and let sit until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add flax and vanilla and continue creaming for 2 minutes.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt) and add to the mixing bowl. Mix until just combined, then add the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for at least one hour. Once the hour is almost up, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Scoop the cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, then chill the baking sheet for 10 minutes before putting in the oven. The cookies should be chilled before baking so that they stay tall and don't spread too much.
- Bake the cookies 15-17 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Handle the Heat – “Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies“
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.