Animal-Style Patty Melts – Toasted rye bread packed with grilled onions, melted cheese, a mustard-grilled burger, & overflowing with Thousand Island dressing. Yummm.
This post is sponsored by Follow Your Heart.
I’m really excited about this burger. Or is it a burger? I had no idea until I started reading about patty melts that there’s a huge debate whether or not it’s actually a burger or a sandwich. Like people feel VERY STRONGLY about it. Seems petty but I just went off about the huge difference between Roadhouse vs. Dalton’s Roadhouse so I guess I’m no better.
I’m a born and raised California girl, so In-N-Out’s burger spread pumps through my veins. I’ve eaten In-N-Out close to a million times. I could LIVE on animal-style fries. Unfortunately I’ve only had it a handful of times since I went vegan and I crave it constantly. There is a “secret menu” vegan option (burger without meat, cheese, or spread, add pickles, mustard, and grilled onions), but I want the real deal. I need something smothered in melted cheese and grilled onions, and I need it NOW.
Enter my new favorite sandwich.
Guys this burger is sooo good. First, grill up some onions. Then you’re going to MUSTARD-GRILL a burger patty, which is totally something you need to try if you haven’t. And the secret to the delicious gooeyness? Follow Your Heart’s cheese slices. They melt WAY better than any other vegan cheese I’ve tried, and they honestly taste just like real cheese. I used American slices, but they have so many awesome flavors that you can’t really go wrong (like pepperjack!? Mmmm). The other secret is their Thousand Island dressing, which I put inside the sandwich for maximum creaminess and deliciousness. And yeah, it tastes exactly like In-N-Out’s burger spread.
You should totally make it this week. It’s so worth it.
And here’s a photo from when I sat down to eat it. LOOK AT THAT MELTED CHEESE. MMMM.
♡ What’s your favorite vegan fast food? (Mine’s In-N-Out & Taco Bell!)
- 4 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 slices Follow Your Heart American-Style Cheese Slices
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 vegan burger patties
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- 3 Tbsp. Follow Your Heart Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ a large white onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste, about ½ tsp. each
- Heat the oil in a small pan until sizzling. Add the chopped onions, salt, and pepper, and let cook until dark golden brown, stirring occasionally. It should take about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the burger patties and cook one side until dark brown and delicious. Flip the burger, let cook for about two minutes, then lift it up with a spatula and add a squirt of mustard underneath. Place the patty back on top and let cook. Flip the patty one more time, adding mustard under the other side.
- Butter the outer sides of all four pieces of bread. Add the cheese, burger patty, caramelized onions, and Thousand Island dressing. Add to a hot pan and cook until golden brown. Flip the sandwich, then use a foil-wrapped pan to smash the sandwich down. Let the sandwich continue to cook until dark brown on all sides. With rye bread, the darker and buttery-er it is, the more delicious.
- Cut diagonally (sandwiches taste better cut diagonally, this is non-negotiable) and ENJOY.
Thank you to Follow Your Heart for sponsoring this post!
(All opinions are 100% my own. I only partner with brands that I use in my everyday life.)
© PANTHERS & PEONIES. All text, recipes, and photographs on this site are my own. Please do not use my images without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.